Clarke County Athletics
Home of the Eagles and 34 state titles
Clarke County High School is a member of the Virginia High School League, competes in Region B and in the Bull Run District. The athletic program at Clarke County High School offers a variety of team and individual sports for males and females at varsity, junior varsity, and freshman levels.
All students are allowed to participate in the sports program provided they meet the following requirements:
- 28-1-1: Bona Fide Student Rule-You must be enrolled at Clarke County High School and in good standing in the school you represent.
(1) A “regular” student is considered a full-time student who is in regular attendance and is carrying a schedule of subjects which, if successfully completed, will render him/her scholastically eligible for League participation the ensuing semester.
(2) Any student who is under penalty of suspension, or whose character or conduct is such as to reflect discredit upon his/her school, is not considered in good standing.
(3) Any student is permitted to take course work outside the VHSL high school building provided he/she is enrolled in the high school and is eligible in all other respects.
- 28-2-1: Grade Rule-You must be enrolled in the last four years of high school. Eight-grade students may participate in high school academic activities and at the sub-varsity level in high school athletic activities for one year only while in eight grade without affecting high school eligibility.
- 28-4-1: Scholarship Rule- 28-4-1: You must have passed at least five credit subjects, or the equivalent, at the end of the previous semester and be enrolled in and remain continuously enrolled in at least five credit subjects, or the equivalent during the current semester. NOTE: A subject, for which credit has previously been granted may not, if repeated, be used by any student to satisfy the requirement of this rule.
- 28-5-1: Age Rule-You must not have reached your 19th birthday on or before the first day of August of the current school year.
- 28-6-1: Transfer Rule-You must sit out of VHSL activities for 365 days following a transfer to the school unless the transfer corresponded with a family move into the school attendance zone. Eighth and ninth graders are automatically eligible wherever they enroll at the beginning of the year. (Please check with your principal or athletic/activities director for exceptions.)
- 28-7-1: Semester Rule-You may participate for not more than eight consecutive semesters following your initial enrollment in the ninth grade, whether or not you have remained continuously enrolled.
- 28-8-1: Amateur Rule-You must be an amateur who participates only for the education, physical, mental and social benefits derived from the activity.
- 28-10-1: Awards Rule-You must not accept in recognition of athletic ability any award not approved by your school or the Virginia High School League.
- 28-12-1: All Star Rule-Only seniors who have completed their eligibility in a sport may participate in one all-star game in that sports season.
- 28-9-1: Consent Form/Physical-You must have submitted a complete copy of a current Athletic Participation/Parental Consent/Physical Examination Form, including the required physical by a doctor, prior to practice, tryouts or membership of any school athletic team, including cheer.
A full version of the VHSL Handbook may be found here: http://www.vhsl.org/about_vhsl/pub-vhsl-handbook